The purpose of this course is to facilitate learning of fundamental principles associated with the use therapeutic modalities as they apply to the clinical practice of physical therapy. This will be accomplished via a series of self-directed learning modules designed to enhance clinical decision making which guides the appropriate use of therapeutic modalities as well as best-practice approaches for their utilization.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
– Explain the associated biophysical properties and physiologic effects on target tissues
– Articulate and compare varying rationales for utilization in patient care.
– Identify contraindications and cautions associated with its use and outline reasons why these situations are potentially problematic.
– Analyze and assess patient cases to determine if integration of the therapeutic modality into a treatment plan is safe, appropriate, or potentially effective.
– Describe safe and effective physical application of the intervention during patient care.